Beiträge von JFG

Hello experts!

I finally managed to change the CXA1908S on my Sony GDM-W900. It was soldered on both sides of the board so I had to find someone with special equipment. No problem with picture adjustment after that BUT the original symptoms are still here : screen flickering in horizontal stripes, and reddish flashes at the top of the screen. Very frustrating after changing this expensive part with expensive labour...

So what can I try next? Switching old capacitors in the sync processor area? Praying to God? Dancing around the screen?

Any advice very appreciated. Gruß,

JFG

:] You guys are fantastic !!!

1) About the N96D...

Zitat

Original von tcfkao
    Also verify that you got a quality TDA8172. There are many fakes sold.
    If the part is to cheap be careful.

It was about 5 €, is it a normal price ?
    But I think I did not apply enough heat transfer paste, this thing is mounted on a huge radiator, so it's obvious it needs efficient heat dissipation...

Do you think I should change the local elcos again with my next TDA?
    The original diode was a UF5402, but if you think another model is more robust, tell me which and I'll change it again. The way the first one exploded was scary indeed ;-)

2) About the Sony W900...

Over the last few days, the red flicker has only come back intermittently, thanks to the poor weather. I have ordered a new CXA and will try the hairdryer/freezer trick when I decide to open the beast.

Nochmal vielen Dank!

Hey, thanks for the quick advice!

This part is not on the Repdata shop, but I can get it from the USA for $31 including shipping, MUCH cheaper than replacing the monitor (this kind of CRT costs around 200 € on eBay), so I'll go for it.

In addition, the weather became a bit colder and the monitor is working correctly again... when I leave my window open :) That leaves me a little time to wait for the part to arrive.

What shall I need to adjust the picture afterwards? What is this link cable you talk about? I have seen elsewhere that I need "DAS software" to adjust the screen geometry. What is it and where can I find it? Sorry for asking basic questions, I'm just a software person who touched electronics a long time ago.

And I've got another monitor to repair, perhaps you have an idea: a 20-inch Videoseven N96D. I changed a part that took fire (TDA8172) and all the condos around it plus an UF5402 diode. It worked fine for a few days then the new part burned to flames again!!! I have bought another replacement part (it was cheap) but before I solder it on, do you have any advice to avoid burning a third time?

Bis bald,

JFG

Hallo,

Ich hoffe daß, Sie auch Englisch verstehen können. Antworten Sie bitte entweder auf Englisch oder Deutsch... Es ist mir kein Problem, Deutsch zu lesen ;-)

My trusty Sony GDM-W900 (24-inch CRT) is dying... The symptoms: am unstable image flickering all over the place in horizontal lines and bands (happens at all resolutions, so not a signal quality issue -- also tried different cables and different computers). Also there are red flashes in the top area of the image. Sometimes the whole picture flashes to red and then comes back to normal for a few seconds. then the flickering starts again.

It started with the irregular flicker, then more regular flicker with red flashes, and now almost unusable so I turned it off. The problem seems to get a little better when the unit is colder (working at night ;-)

Any advice from experts here appreciated. Schematics, parts to change ? It looks like it is not a big deal for an expert... I would be sad to throw this beautiful monitor in the garbage (plus it would break my back, it's so heavy :-D)

Bis bald,

JFG

Hallo,

Ich hoffe daß, Sie können auch Englisch verstehen. Antworten Sie bitte entweder auf Englisch oder Deutsch...

My GDM-W900 also decided to die this morning. Not really dead, but dying... The symptoms: am unstable image flickering all over the place in horizontal lines and bands (happens at all resolutions, so not a signal quality issue -- also tried different cables and different computers). Also there are red flashes in the top area of the image.

It started with the irregular flicker, then more regular flicker with red flashes, and now almost unusable so I turned it off. The problem seems to get a little better when the unit is colder (working at night ;-)

Any advice from experts here appreciated. Schematics, parts to change ? It looks like it is not a big deal for an expert... I would be sad to throw this beautiful monitor in the garbage (plus it would break my back, it's so heavy :-D)

Bis bald,

JFG